For 30 days in the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, many individuals worldwide who practise the Muslim faith refrain from eating or drinking from dawn until dusk in observance of Ramadan, the holy month of fasting. This year, Ramadan will occur from March 22 to April 20, 2023.
Medication management during Ramadan can be challenging to fast when we have 12-13 hours of daylight, especially for those who take medication regularly. However, with some planning and preparation, it is possible to fast safely while managing your medications.
- Consultation and advice: Your pharmacist can advise on managing your medications during Ramadan. They can help you understand how your medicines may affect your fasting, how to adjust your dosage, and how to take your medication safely during the fasting period.
- Medication review: During Ramadan, it is important to review your medication with your pharmacist. They can help you determine if any of your medications need to be adjusted or if you need to switch to a different medication that is easier to take during fasting.
- Timing of medication: Your pharmacist can help you plan the timing of your medication. They can advise you on the best times to take your medicine, such as during the evening meal or after breaking your fast, to ensure that it does not interfere with your fasting.
- Pill organizers: To help you keep track of your medication schedule, your pharmacist can provide you with pill organizers. These organizers can help you remember when to take your medication and ensure you don't miss a dose.
- Don't skip medication: It is important not to skip medication during Ramadan, even if you are fasting. Skipping medication can lead to serious health complications, and you should always take your medicines as prescribed.
- Hydration and nutrition: Your pharmacist can advise on staying hydrated and maintaining good nutrition during Ramadan. They can recommend foods that provide the necessary nutrients and hydration and advise you to take your medication with food.
If you have diabetes, visit the International Diabetes Federation for a handy guide on Diabetes and Ramanda
We are here to help you. Our pharmacists can be a valuable resource in managing your medication during Ramadan. By working with your pharmacist, you can fast safely while managing your medications. Remember to prioritize your health and seek medical attention if you experience complications during Ramadan.
Click here to comment...